Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Medical Laboratory Science
PhD in Toxicology/Pathology, HKU, BSc in Biochemistry, Hull University, UK
Fellow, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, USA
Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
Chartered Scientist and Chartered Chemist, UK
Fellow, Hong Kong Society of Clinical Chemistry
Accredited Clinical Biochemist, Register of Department of Health
Registered Medical Laboratory Technologist (Part I), Government of HKSAR
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Total no. of credits||135 credits|
|JUPAS Catalogue No.||JSST02|
|Year||Tuition Fee* (HK$)|
|Self-financing places are available ^|
* After deduction of annual subsidy HK$ 70,000 from the Government under Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions / Sectors (SSSDP)
^ For self-financing places, the tuition fee will be HK$ 119,680 per year. (After deduction of Government non-means-tested annual subsidy of HK$30,000, the tuition fee will be HK$89,680 per year. Details are subject to the approval of the Legislative Council.)
|CHI1002||Applied Chinese Language||ENG2006||Enhancing Academic English Skills|
|ENG1001||Developing English Language skills|
|MED1001||Human Physiology||MED2004||General Pathology|
|MED1002||Human Anatomy||MED2005||Infectious Disease and Control|
|MED1003||Molecules, Cells and Genes||MED2006||Pathophysiology|
|MED1006||General Microbiology and Immunology||MED2009||Introduction to Chinese Medicine|
|MED1009||Introduction to Physics||MED3001||Research Methods in Medical Science|
|MED2001||Basic Laboratory Techniques and Instrumentation||MED3008||Clinical Laboratory Chemistry and Immunochemistry|
|MED3009||Clinical Laboratory Haematology and Transfusion Science||MED4001||Honours Year Project|
|MED3010||Principles of Molecular Diagnostics||MED4002||Virology|
|MED3011||Human Genetics||MED4005||Clinical Laboratory Cellular Pathology|
|MED3035||Clinical Immunology||MED4006||Clinical Laboratory Medical Microbiology|
|MED3047||Clinical Practicum I (Clinical Chemistry)||MED4019||Molecular Diagnosis of Human Diseases|
|MED3048||Clinical Practicum II (Haematology and Transfusion Science)||NUR1403||Introduction to Health Informatics|
|MED3049||Clinical Practicum III (Anatomical and Cellular Pathology)||NUR2023||Aging, Diseases and Disabilities|
|MED3050||Clinical Practicum IV (Medical Microbiology)||NUR2028||Psychosocial Dimensions of Health and Illness|
|NUR3002||Ethical and Legal Aspects in Health Care|
|General Education courses|
|GEN1008||Introduction to Statistics||GEN2005||Information Technology and Multimedia Applications|
|GEN1205||Understanding and Motivating Self||+ Select two courses from the College’s GE course list|
|GEN1304||The Development and Operation of Non-profit Organizations|
Graduate Profile and Employment Pathway
Please click “Graduate Profile and Employment Pathway” for details.
+ Year 1 entry to Degree Programmes
- Have obtained Level 3 in Chinese Language and English Language and Level 2 in Mathematics and Liberal Studies plus one Elective/Applied Learning Subject at Level 2 (“3322+2”) in HKDSE; OR
- Have passes in AS Use of English and AS Chinese Language and Culture plus one AL subject/two AS subjects in HKALE and Level 2 for Chinese Language and English Language plus passes in three other subjects in HKCEE; OR
- Have obtained the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum score of 28 and fulfilled the English language requirements:
- Grade 4 or better in the Higher Level English Language (B Syllabus); or
- Grade 5 or better in the Higher Level English Language (B Syllabus); or
- Grade 4 or better in the Higher or Standard Level English Language (A1 or A2 Syllabus); or
- Grade 4 or better in the Standard Level English – Text and Performance; or
- Grade 4 or better in the Standard Level English – Literature and Performance (A1 syllabus); OR
- Have met the 2nd cut-off line of the respective province for admission to mainland key universities in the National Joint College Entrance Examination (JEE) and the scores of English Language is over 100 (普通高等學校聯合招生考試(JEE,PRC)達到所屬省市報讀第二批重點高校分數線以上及英語科達100分或以上); OR
- Have obtained equivalent qualifications (such as meeting the admission requirements of a degree programme offered outside Hong Kong)
- Preference will be given to applicants who have obtained Level 3 or above in Biology, Chemistry or Combined in Chemistry and Biology or Combined Science (Chemistry and Biology) in HKDSE.
- Applicants should have normal colour vision, as this is required for the employment in medical laboratory.
- Applicants should be prepared to handle human samples, tissues and body fluids.
Mr. Dennis Wong
(major in Medical Laboratory Science)
|Q1:||If I have no Science background, can I apply?|
|A1:||Science background is essential for learning all the basic technologies employed in medical laboratory science. The student applying for the programme is expected to have followed a structured science education (including chemistry) in the senior years of secondary education.
|Q2:||What are the criteria for selection?|
|A2:||Students are expected to score good grades in English and science subjects (including chemistry).
|Q3:||What will Medical Laboratory Science students learn during their training?|
|A3:||The first year of study will mainly be general education and foundation scientific training. From second year onwards, students will receive basic and clinical training in all disciplines of Medical Laboratory Science, including: Haematology and Transfusion Science (血液科), Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology (臨床生化及免疫科), Medical Microbiology (微生物科), Anatomical and Cellular Pathology (解剖病理科), and Molecular Diagnostics (分子分折科). In the fourth year, students will receive 480 hours of clinical practicum in a public or private medical laboratory. Satisfactory completion of the clinical practicum is one of the requirements for graduation.
|Q4:||Are graduates of Medical Laboratory Science eligible to register with the Medical Laboratory Technologist Board for the statutory registration to practice?|
|A4:||Yes. The Medical Laboratory Science degree programme has received accreditation from the Medical Laboratory Technologists Board in August 2016. Graduates are eligible to register with the Board for the statutory registration to practice.
|Q5:||What are the career prospects of Medical Laboratory Science graduate?
|A5:||MLS graduates can begin their career as a medical laboratory technologist in local clinical laboratories upon registration with the Medical Laboratory Technologist Board. MLS graduates may also enter the in vitro diagnostics industry as technical specialists.
Those who are interested in attaining a higher degree may pursue postgraduate studies (Master and Doctoral programmes) in local and overseas universities.
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Medical Laboratory Science
|1||9 Jun 2017||絕世筍工？醫務化驗師起薪2.7萬 業界：一步不能錯 樣本如生命 (HK01)|
|2||3 Feb 2017||醫務化驗師 減輕醫療體系負擔 (信報)|
|3||23 Sep 2016||培育輔助醫療業人才 紓緩病人輪候治療之苦 (信報)|
|4||31 Aug 2016||東華學院兩課程 獲醫療專業認證 獲政府資助 收生門檻提高 (星島日報)|
|5||31 Aug 2016||東華學院兩醫療課程獲專業認證 (東方日報)|
|6||31 Aug 2016||東華兩醫療學位獲認證 (大公報)|
|7||31 Aug 2016||東華化驗放射課程 納入政府資助 (明報)|
|8||18 Aug 2016||東華醫療科學學士 獲資助學費減半 自資課程 學額32個 (星島日報)|
|9||18 Aug 2016||東華學院兩醫療課程納政府資助 (東方日報)|
|10||18 Aug 2016||明年增32資助學額 全歸東華學院 (成報)|
|11||18 Aug 2016||SSSDP 添食 資助東華兩課程 (文匯報)|
|12||11 July 2016||東華學院培訓專職醫療及復康專才 (明報)|