Bachelor’s Degree Programmes
Sub Degree Programmes
Dr. Susan Ka Yee CHOWAssociate ProfessorContact Information
Diploma ProgrammeCertificate Programme
Office : KPC 16/F
Tel : 3468 6810
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Susan Chow joined Tung Wah College as Associate Professor in August 2016. She served as a faculty member at School of Nursing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University from 1998 to 2015. She was the Associate Head of a hospital nursing school in 2015 to 2016. Over the past years, she has gained vast experiences in nursing education and academic programme administration. She is a reviewer of various international nursing and health care journals. She has published widely in international referee journals and her research areas are nurse case management, care of patients with chronic diseases, teaching and learning of nursing students and instrument testing. She is the qualified instructor of Mental Health First Aid (Hong Kong).Education:
PhD, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Master in Primary Health Care, University of Western Sydney
Bachelor of Nursing, University of Technology, Sydney
Associate Diploma in Community Nursing, Cumberland College of Health SciencesProfessional Qualifications / Memberships:
Registered Nurse (Hong Kong)
Registered Nurse (Australia)
Fellow (FHKCERN), Hong Kong College of Education and Research, The Hong Kong Academy of Nursing
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA), Hong Kong InstructorTeaching Areas:
Community Health Nursing
Health Education and Promotion
Representative Publications / Projects :
Representative Publications / Projects (in last 5 years):
Funded Research Projects
- Chow, S.K.Y., Lam, K.M., Lie, S.H., Mak, K.C., Mong, K.C., So, C.M., Yuen, W.Y. (2018). Do demographic factors and a health-promoting lifestyle influence the self-rated health of college nursing students? BMC Nursing, 17:50 (29 Nov 2018). Doi 10.1186/s12912-018-0322-y
- Chow, S.K.Y., Fung, K.H.K. (2018). Do students demographics and country location affect the international learning experience of nursing students? Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 8(11), 16-23. Doi 10.5430/jnep.v8n11p16
- Chow, S.K.Y., Chan, Y.Y., Ho, S.K. & Ng, K.C. (2017). Cardiac health knowledge and misconceptions among nursing students: implications for nursing curriculum design. BMC Nursing, 16:46 (15 Aug 2017). Doi 10.1186/s12912-017-0241-3
- Tao, X., Chow, S.K.Y. (Corresponding author) & Wong, F.K.Y. (2017). The effects of a nurse-supervised home exercise programme on improving patients’ perceptions of the benefits and barriers to exercise: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 26(17-18), 2765-2775. Doi 10.1111/jocn.13798
- Lee, P.H., Wong, F.K.Y., Wang, S.L., & Chow, S.K.Y. (2016). Substitution of SF-36 by SF-12 among Hong Kong Chinese older adults: Secondary analysis of randomized controlled trials. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, available online in Jan 2016. Doi 10.1007/s12529-016-954-2.
- Tao, X., Chow, S.K.Y. (Corresponding author) & Wong, F.K.Y. (2015). A nurse-led case management program on home exercise training for hemodialysis patients: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 52, 1029-1041. Doi 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.03.013
- Chow, S.K.Y., Tam, B.M.L. (2014). Is the Kidney Disease Quality of Life-36 (KDQOL-36) a valid instrument for Chinese dialysis patients? BMC Nephrology, 15:199 (15 December 2014). doi:10.1186/1471-2369-15-199.
- Chow, S.K.Y., Wong, L.T.W., Chan, Y.K. & Chung T.Y. (2014). The impact and importance of clinical learning experience in supporting nursing students in end-of-life care: Cluster Analysis. Nurse Education in Practice, 14(5), 532-537. Doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2014.05.006
- Tam, B.M.L. & Chow, S.K.Y. (Corresponding author). (2014). A preliminary report on the effectiveness of nanotechnology anti-microbial spray dressing in preventing Tenckhoff Catheter exit site infection. Peritoneal Dialysis International, 34(6): 670-673. doi:10.3747/pdi.2013.00199
- Tao, XJ. & Chow, S.K.Y. (Corresponding author) & Wong, F.K.Y. (2014). Determining the Validity and Reliability of the Chinese Version of the Kidney Disease Quality of Life Questionnaire (KDQOL-36TM). BMC Nephrology,15:115 (11 July 2014). doi: 10.1186/1471-2369-15-115.
- Chow, S.K.Y. & Wong, F.K.Y. (2014). A randomized controlled trial of a nurse led case management programme for hospital discharged older adults with co-morbidities. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(10), 2257-2271, doi: 10.1111/jan.12375.
- Wong F.K.Y., Chow S.K.Y., Chan T.M.F. & Tam S.K.Y. (2014). Comparison of effects between home visits with telephone calls and telephone calls only for transitional discharge support: a randomised controlled trial. Age and Ageing, 43(1), 91-97.
- Chow S.K.Y. & Wong F.K.Y. (2014). The reliability and validity of the Chinese version of the Short-form chronic disease self-efficacy scales for older adults. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23, 1095-1104.
- Lai C.K.Y., Chow S.K.Y., Suen L.K.P, Wong I.Y.C. (2013). Reduction of physical restraints on patients during hospitalization/rehabilitation: a clinical trial. Asian Journal of Gerontology & Geriatrics, 8, 38-43.
- Leung, N.Y., Chow, S.K.Y. (Corresponding author) (2012). Attitudes of healthcare staff and patients family members towards Family Presence During Resuscitation in adult critical care units. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21, 2083-2093.
- Chow, S.K.Y., Chin, W.Y., Lee, H.Y., Leung, H.C, Tang, F. H. (2012). A review of nurses’ satisfaction and attitude toward computerization in a private hospital. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21, 1685-1696.
- Lai, C.K.Y., Chow, S.K.Y., Suen, L.K.P. & Wong, I. Y. C. (2011). The effect of a restraint reduction programme on physical restraint rates in rehabilitation settings in Hong Kong. Rehabilitation Research and Practice, vol. 2011, Article ID 284604, 9 pages, 2011. doi:10.1155/2011/284604
- Wong, F.K.Y., Ho, M., Yeung S.Y., Tam S.K., Chow S.K.Y. (2011). Effects of a health-social partnership transitional program on hospital readmission: A randomized controlled trial. Social Science & Medicine,73 (7), 960-969.
- Chow, S.K.Y., Wong F.K.Y. (2010). Health-related quality of life in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis: effects of a nurse led case management programme. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66, 1780-1792.
College Research Grant, Tung Wah College ($91,115.00) - Principal Investigator
Title - The effectiveness of integrating Chinese Medicine in the realm of general nursing educationResearch Interests:
Nurse Case Management for Chronic Disease Patients
Exercise Therapy for Dialysis PatientsCommunity Participation and Achievement:
Community ParticipationCommunity/Professional Services
- Champion, “Suggestion Award”, 2018. Tung Wah College.
- Best Research Paper Award 2017 5th Annual Worldwide Nursing Conference, Social Science and Technology Forum, Singapore.
- Outstanding Reviewer International Journal of Nursing Studies 2017
- Recognized Reviewer
Nurse Education in Practice 2018
Asian Nursing Research 2018
- Examiner for Fellow Exit Assessment, Hong Kong College of Medical Nursing, The Hong Kong Academy of Nursing
- Examiner, Nursing Council Licensing Examination for Part I (General) Registration (written and practical parts), Nursing Council of Hong Kong
- Associate Editor, BMC Nursing
- Editorial Board Member
o Open Nursing Research
Ad hoc peer reviewer of international referred journals
- American Journal of Kidney Disease
- Asian Nursing Research (International Reviewers Board Member (from 2010 till present)
- BMC Health Services Research
- BMC Nursing
- Cogent Medicine
- Cogent Psychology
- International Journal of Nursing Studies
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- Journal of Nursing Scholarship
- Journal of Quality of Life
- Nursing Education in Practice
- Peritoneal Dialysis International
- Stress & Health